Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My house, my garden

So we did it. We bought a house and now we must live off the land in order to live because paying a mortgage is going to be hard!!

We were unsuccessful in our tender for the pumpkin growing house in Northland. Somebody with far too much money and not enough sense paid an enormous amount for it. However we did find a cute house in Paparangi that has an expansive area of flat land and neatly manicured lawns ready to fully landscape.

Perhap's something like this?
We move in a months time and I have already planned what I would like to plant. First we will start with the fruit trees. My workmates gave me a feijoa tree and I would also like a lemon and a grapefruit and perhaps a peach or pear tree. Actually I can grow as many kinds of fruit trees as I want because I have the space!

I am thinking for the vegetable garden I would like to go potager style, keep it raised and perhaps do that rotating crops thing. Again I have plenty of space to do it!

As for Paparangi, I found out that the name is actually a colonised version of "Papaparangi" which means folding hills. It was once farmland and all the street's are named after the children who once lived in the area. Nearby is Seton Nossiter Park which is a large nature reserve so I will still get visiting native birds. I am also planning to plant a small native bush on our property with a kowhai and cabbage tree as the centrepieces.




Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you didn't get the house in Northland - it's a great place to live. Paparangi looks nice though!

Unknown said...

Paparangi is fantastic. The sun is great, the neighbours are friendly and actually we are still quite close to town!!

Post a Comment