Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The native garden

My wonderful friend Jay came down from Auckland to help us begin landscaping our garden. Not many people I know would pack a skill saw in their backpack for a weekend away!

The first project was to create a native garden. The idea behind this was I wanted to create a garden for native birds to visit. When we lived in Wilton we had Tui, Piwakawaka and Kereru visit all the time.

To start we finished putting edging in to create a garden (Mary and I had started this a few weeks earlier) and dug up the grass to expose the soil and began digging holes for the new plants.

I was fortunate enough to have been told to help myself to any native seedlings I needed from the small patch of bush outside our previous neighbours house. Jay and I took the spade and came back with a boot full of green harakeke (flax), mapou, horoeka (lancewood), and puahou (five finger). I had already collected some rengarenga lilies from my workplace (they divide so easily)!

I was fortunate to have been given a garden voucher from the families at my last workplace so I spent it putting the finishing touchs to the garden. I'm also awaiting for the kowhai tree I have ordered to be ready. All it needs now is some extra soil and some leaf mulch to give it that organic look.

Let the transformation begin....

Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment