Thursday, November 10, 2011

Gingerbeer

I got the bug! The Gingerbeer bug that is!

At the Karori Normal School Fair a couple of weeks ago I purchased a gingerbeer bug and began to feed it (2 teaspoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of ginger every day).

The gingerbeer itself was pretty simple to make. I simply drained liquid from the bug into a bowl, added 2 cups of hot water that had had 2 cups of sugar dissolved in it and then the juice of 2 lemons and 12 cups of cold water. Mixed it up and then put it into bottles which had 3 raisins in the bottle.

The instructions suggested I put the bottles in a sunny spot for a week (oh but where is the sun?) and then in a week's time put it in the fridge and then it's ready to drink.

I did a little bit of googling and found several different recipes for gingerbeer with most suggesting that you put the bottles outside incase they explode (good tip!).

I can't wait to try the fruits (rhizomes??) of my labour this weekend!
Posted by Picasa

Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment