Monday, December 19, 2011

Homemade Yoghurt

So I've been an owner of an Easiyo yoghurt maker for quite a number of years now and go through fads of using it. One of the pro's was that it was better for the environment for me to make my own yoghurt than to purchase something in a plastic container (which up until recently was non-recyclable in Wellington, NZ).

However the cost of a sachet (over $3) and the convenience of buying many different flavours already made at the same price made me less ecologically savvy and more focused on how much money I had in my pocket (selfish I know!)

Then from reading many different blogs about sustainability and frugality I kept reading about how people make their own yoghurt from milk or milk powder and I thought - I can do that! So I have found a recipe that has worked for me and it created this delicious thick yoghurt featured below with boysenberries.


Homemade Yoghurt

  • 2 Cups of Whole milk powder
  • 2 Tablespoons of natural yoghurt (I used a previous batch of Easiyo Greek Style)
  • Cold water (close to room temperature)


  1. Put ingredients into the Easiyo jar.
  2. Use a whisk to mix together.
  3. Top up with cold water and put the lid on.
  4. Fill the Easiyo maker with boiling water up to the top of the baffle. 
  5. Place jar into the yoghurt maker and top up with boiling water.
  6. Put the lid on and leave for 8-12hrs 
  7. Remove jar and refrigerate.
Result = thick creamy yoghurt for around $1.50!

Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment