Saturday, October 13, 2012

Birdseed bars

This recipe I got from Annabel Langbeins "Simple Pleasures" TV show. It makes HEAPS and is frankly "just delicious!"

On a baking tray mix together:
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 1 cup of sunflower seeds
- 1 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup of sesame seeds

Toast in an oven at 180deg C for 5 mins. I substituted half of the pumpkin seeds for some linseed. When done add 1 cup of dried fruit. I did half dried cranberries, half sultanas.

In a small pot, melt together:
- 120g butter
- 6 T Golden syrup or honey
- 8 T Raw sugar
- 1/3 C peanut butter or condensed milk

Stir as it heats and simmer for 5 mins on a low heat.

Add the hot caramel to the toasted seed mix. Work fast as it moulds quickly. Transfer the mixture into a lined Swiss roll tin or baking tray and press flat.

Let cool in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours. When cool, cut into bars. Store in an airtight container till all gone!! Haha.

I couldn't believe how much it made!




Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

dirtgirl said...

I note Annabel toasts her oats and nuts etc for 15 mins, but you state you only toasted yours for 5 mins?

Anonymous said...

I make this all of the time, thank you for the recipe!
Sometimes I add nuts (almonds, cashews, pistachios) and ricies!

Elizabeth J. Neal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Did you use Golden Syrup or honey?

Unknown said...

I used honey šŸ˜€

Anonymous said...

Great recipe I toast all the dry ingredients on a tray 180c around 7 minutes during this time simmer butter sugar honey and peanut butter for around 7- 10 minutes. Pour the mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients mix well, press into a large slice tray I like mine thin, then leave in the oven for a few minutes cool on bench then into the fridge. I use apricot and date Oats also slice before refrigeration.

Post a Comment