Monday, February 28, 2011

Pear Chutney

I was very fortunate to be given given a bag full of pears a few weeks ago and decided to have a go at making pear chutney. It was so delicious that I decided to make as much as I could until the pear supply ran out.

I have adapted the recipe for people to make smaller batches.

500g Pears - peeled, cored and diced
150g Brown Sugar
2/3 C Cider Vinegar
1/2 small onion
1 small clove of garlic (minced)
1/3 C golden raisins
1 T diced preserved ginger
1 level t salt
1 level t mustard seeds
Pinch each of cinnamon, cayenne pepper and cloves

Combine the sugar and vinegar and bring to the boil in a pot. Then add the rest of the ingredients. Cook slowly, stirring every now and then until it becomes thick (approx 1 hr). Poor into hot sterilised jars and seal.

Tastes good an accompaniment to Indian curries but also great with cheese.

The recent Christchurch earthquake has really highlighted the need for communities to look after each other. I am pleased to say that one of the jars I am making today is heading towards some Christchurch refugees.

Homemade food is nourishment for the soul.
Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment