Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Domestic Goddess

There is nothing like the smell of beetroot cooking.

We had a couple of beetroot in the fridge leftover from some other recipes so I cooked them up this morning in some salty water and have preserved them in vinegar ready to use in 3 weeks time. I also had a marmalade disaster.

I have made marmalade about 4 times now and each time I can never work out the setting point. I either bottle it too early or leave it too late until it blackens the bottom of my pot. It seems like its one of those split-second decisions between perfection and disaster!!

However I decided to bottle it and have it as a caramelised version. Perhaps not the one I give away!!

Thanks to the neighbours for their generous supply of grapefruit and lemons. I have been a bit of a preserving queen lately. I tried Annabel Langbein's recipe for preserved lemons. Very quick and easy so I'll let you know what they taste like in one of her "delushious" recipes!!

Note: ways to get burnt jam off bottom of pot - boil vinegar and baking soda on top of it. If the stain is still stubborn try soaking it in washing powder.
Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment