Friday, January 13, 2012

Bread winner!

I got given a breadmaker for my birthday last year (at my request) and I was a little disappointed at my first attempts of using it. All I got was stodgy dough/wet bread that had not risen.

Then I discovered (through the internet) that an Australian tablespoon measurement is different from a usual one which was perhaps the reason why my (Australian breadmaker recipe) bread was failing. Who would have thought!

The king and queen of break-making in New Zealand are infact Simon and Alison Holst (perhaps I should say Queen and Prince since he's her son) and they have this amazing recipe book called funnily enough "The New Zealand Bread Book".  This quickly got added to the "all I want for Christmas.." list and Santa delivered.

Raisin and Nut
So far I've made the Five Seed, Sundried Tomato and Basil, Raisin and Nut and White breads and my partner has used the recipe to make croissants.

They are tasty breads just like you get from an actual bakery where a qualified baker makes them so I'm feeling pretty chuffed right now.

Oh and a little secret I learnt from my friend Olivia to help grainy breads to rise is to crush up a couple of vitamin C tablets and add them to the mixture. I'm still not quite sure what they do but I figure that it can't be a bad thing!

Happy Baking!

Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment